Fear of not finding an apprenticeship
- Alternatives: Look for several companies that offer apprenticeships and search for apprentices on various portals. Even if it looks a little less favourable at the moment, it will not necessarily stay that way. It is also very unlikely that all of them will not train anyone at the same time. On the contrary, there are many companies that are desperately looking for trainees. Have a look at azubiyo, Schülerkarriere or the chambers of trade (School Career) (Chambers of Crafts). School-based training is also possible, be it in the direction of educators, health or nursing. The career opportunities here are also very good.
- Internship: an Internship helps to get to know a potential profession. If you present yourself well and motivated during your Internship, you usually have very good prospects for a training position.
- Higher school-leaving certificate: depending on what kind of school-leaving certificate your child has, there is the possibility of obtaining a higher degree, be it the (technical) Abi or the intermediate school leaving certificate. The higher the school leaving certificate, the better the chance of finding a training place.
- Bridging: if no alternative can be found so quickly, you can also think about a Bridging. This could be a voluntary social year, where you will at least get pocket money or another job for a transitional period.
- Contact the Employment Agency: The professionals often have ideas that we don't even have on screen. Maybe they know companies that you have overlooked in your search.
- Polishing up the records: To stand out from the crowd, it's essential to have application papers. Look at the documents together and maybe let a third person look at them. It is also important to show what your child has to offer beyond school grades: for example, participation in a sports club, exciting hobbies and good computer skills.
- Be fast: Many job portals offer a service that alerts searchers as soon as a new job with matching keywords has gone online. Switch on the alarm mode and be informed automatically.
- Don't be afraid of interim solutions: sometimes you need money quickly and may not find the right job, then it is no problem at all, especially at a young age, to take on another job for a transitional period. The employment agency has created a special Filter with which you can find employers who are looking for additional support because of the Corona pandemic.
- Contact the Employment Agency: Again, the pros might have something up their sleeve that you've let slip through your fingers.
- There is one perspective: economic crises do not last forever. Better times will come again and then the (maybe even higher) degree will be all the more valuable.
- One goal always helps: With a degree in your pocket, you can finally pursue your strengths and what you really enjoy. That's a great motivation to go through the years at school.
- School choice: See if the school your kid goes to is the right school. Not every child can cope with frontal teaching, not every child can cope with project teaching. Sometimes it helps if there is another teacher who has a "better hand" for your child.
- No one can steal what you've learned: Perhaps the only thing no one can steal from you is your knowledge. For this reason alone, it should be taken good care of. Tutoring with understanding tutors can also help here.
There are often contact persons at the employment agency who are responsible for schools. Many schools also have teachers who are particularly involved in finding a profession. Your teenager can always talk to them. Fear is not a good counsellor, so you should try not to bury your head in the sand because of all the worries. Instead, it helps to know all the options and to know what is possible in case of an emergency. Of course, you can still hope that everything will go according to plan, but a plan B provides security and makes things easier if things do not go as well as hoped.
Articles on the topic
Depending on the state and type of school, different things need to be...
The path from application to daycare place is simple and complicated at...
Article from the Süddeutsche Zeitung
All important information on children's sickness benefit
Reading adventures with your child are not to be missed!
What you can do to get back on track